Thursday, December 30, 2010

Homemade Biscuits for leftover Ham!!!

Now that everyone is probably finished with all of their Holiday dinners there are leftovers to be had!

Leftover green bean casserole,

leftover mac and cheese,

leftover sweet potato casserole,

leftover turkey and ham...

 So, let's make some biscuits for all those leftovers! 



I have lots of recipes for biscuits, but I am stuck on the recipe on the back of the White Lily All-Purpose Flour bag!! Yep, that is my secret for those mile high flaky concotions!!! Now that my secret is out I don't know what I will do, except to keep baking and eating!!! The show must go on!!!

The recipe makes the most wonderful biscuits and in my book is relatively easy! I was always intimidated by the thought of making biscuits but not after making this recipe.

 I mean I kept staring at it everytime I got my flour out to make something, so finally one morning I woke up and said, "I am making biscuits for breakfast!" and my husband looked in the fridge and was like "But we don't have any biscuits". It is as if he didn't hear the "I am MAKING biscuits" part, not "I am baking biscuits, or we have canned biscuits so would you like some".

Anyways, here it is in case you don't have any White Lily All-Purpose flour handy:

White Lily Light and Fluffy Biscuits
again, adapted from the White Lily All-Purpose Flour bag
(and no I am not getting paid by them to recommend this!)

  • 2 C. White Lily All-Purpose Flour (or your fav)
  • 1 T. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 C. unsalted butter , chilled, straight from the fridge
  • 2/3 to 3/4 C. milk (or buttermilk, I use milk)
*Loco Cocoa tip: Note where I use 1/4 c. unsalted (or salted butter, to tell you the truth!) the recipe calls for 1/4 c. crisco chilled (I just hate it when people say this is how you make it but I use this instead of this, and this instead of that, although, I seem to end up doing that all the time!!!)

Now crank up the heat on the oven to 500 F, YES! 500 F.

Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in medium bowl.
*Loco Cocoa tip:  I "sift" mine together with a fork.

Cut in butter with pastry blender *Loco Cocoa tip: I didn't own a pastry blender until Santa came this year, like 5 days ago, so I would cut my butter up in to pea size pieces, trying not to handle too much so they stay cold and don't become mushy, then cut in with a fork. The point is that you want the butter and flour mixture to form pea size crumbs. I also, get my hands in there to mix it up good.

Then blend in just enough milk with a fork until dough leaves sides of bowl.

Transfer dough ball onto lightly floured surface. Knead gently 2-3 times. Roll dough to 1/2" thickness and cut using floured 2" biscuit cutter.

Place on baking sheet touching for soft sides.

Bake 8-10 min. or until golden brown. Slather with butter!

Makes 10- 12 biscuits!

Mmmmmmm...



Until next time,
Happy Baking!

Lynn aka Loco Cocoa

1 comment:

  1. If you use unsalted butter, the true dairy flavor of the butter comes through. In baking, unsalted butter, with the salt added separately as above in the original version, is the way to go.

    Buttermilk is slightly acidic and causes the baking powder to react faster and stronger, puffing up the biscuits better. Plus, that tasty dairy tartness makes the biscuit so tasty, you can eat them fresh & hot right off the pan!

    ReplyDelete