Friday, December 17, 2010

Derby Day Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe

Ok, the holiday season is upon us, so if you are making homemade treats to give to people I am sure you are already in the kitchen doing your thing or have it all planned out. If you don't do homemade treats for others or don't have it planned out yet let me give you some inspiration...
Goodie Gift Basket for friends of ours in South Carolina
Then let's move on to this:
One of my new fav cookies that will be added to our treat packs this year
 So, let me introduce you to a little unknown cookie called the "Derby Day Chocolate Chip Cookie"     (if you have heard of it before I swear I will eat 3 dozen of them in one sitting, so please don't inform me of this!):

Anything that has this in it must be good!
(Please don't get the wrong idea I just love good ingredients with good results!)



Can you smell the smoothness of the Jack Daniels with the sweetness of brown sugar and butter?? mmm...

Derby Day Chocolate Chip Cookies
Adapted from Allrecipes.com

Ingredients

  • 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 5 tablespoons Jack Daniels
  •  1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
  • 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
Loco Cocoa tip: please note you could use a fine Kentucky Bourbon in honor of derby day tradition and would be just as good!
Jim Beam Bourbon or Jack Daniels whiskey, you decide or make a batch of each!
I really feel like I should re-name these Volunteer cookies or Lynchburg Cookies since I changed the main "derby day" ingredient, whatever you want to call them they are darn good!

Directions

  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda and salt with a fork. Set aside.
  2. Cream together the butter, white sugar, and brown sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the Jack Daniels. Stir in the flour mixture little by little just until blended. Fold in pecans and chocolate chips. Drop by spoonfuls onto parchment lined baking sheets.
  3. Bake in the preheated oven until the edges are lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Cool on the cookie sheet for a minute, then remove to wire racks to cool completely.
Makes ~ 4 dozen (depending on your spoon/scoop)

Loco Cocoa tip: When I say cream I mean beat at least 5 min., at least!!! The sugar needs to break down.

Then enjoy these:
Have you ever seen anything so tasty made with Jack Daniels?!
Next Monday tune in for more liquor inspired Christmas treats... a family favorite tradition... Rum Balls!!!

In the meantime, get to baking these cookies this weekend for your treat packs (Or for yourself) and check out Kitchen Corners for more cookie inspiration and vote for me for the December Cook off for favorite cookie. If you bake these I am sure you will agree they are the best chocolate chip cookie ever!

So, get some rum and graham crackers this weekend and be ready to make some rum balls next monday so they have time to cure and be ready for Christmas Eve!!!
Happy Baking,

Lynn aka Loco Cocoa




5 comments:

  1. what a great looking basket, how lucky your friends are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynn! Thank you so much for sending all the treats!!! You are amazing! I can't imagine how long that took to make :) Those peanut butter pinwheels were to DIE for! I am going to do a post about it tonight :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suzanne: Thanks! I enjoy your blog!

    Carla: Glad you are enjoying the peanut butter pinwheels, I have 8 more dozen in the freezer if you want to come up :0) Looking forward to your post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll never get tired of reading choco chip cookie recipes :). Looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty.Good.Food. : I know what you mean I am a sucker for chocolate chip cookie recipes, all time fav cookie. Can't beat 'em. Hope you get to try the recipe.

    ReplyDelete