Monday, February 21, 2011

Sweet Tart (Cherry) Muffins~ It's Presidents' Day!



In honor of Presidents' Day and Washington's Birthday I began thinking about cherries!


Yeah, yeah, I know! A very un celebrated holiday but a good excuse to think about cherries and the fable supposed chopping down of the cherry tree!

For whatever reasons you want to pick,

Presidents' Day, George Washington's Birthday, National Cherry Month (February), because they are red...

cherries are always great to eat and even better when sweetened up!

Sweet Tart Muffins ~ Tart Cherry Streusel Muffins
Makes 24 regular muffins or 12 Jumbo muffins



Ingredients

Muffin
1 ½ C. white sugar
⅔ C. oil
1 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs
2 C. thawed and drained tart cherries (must use tart! trust me)
2 ½ C. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
1 C. buttermilk

Streusel
⅔ C. flour
⅔ C. confectioners’ sugar
½ tsp. cinnamon
¼ tsp. nutmeg
pinch of salt
5 T. softened butter


Directions


Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.


Grease or line muffin pans.


Prepare streusel by  combining  flour, confectioners’ sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
Then cut in softened butter with pastry blender or two forks until mixture is crumbly.
Set aside streusel crumbs to top muffin batter before baking.



Mix sugar, oil, vanilla, and eggs until creamed.


Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt . Reserve ½ C. of flour mixture to sprinkle over cherries.


Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk to creamed sugar mixture.


Mix reserved flour mixture with cherries coating them thoroughly.


Fold flour coated cherries into prepared batter, stirring only enough to incorporate cherries.


Fill muffin cups ⅔ full, then sprinkle streusel topping on each muffin.


Bake at 375 degrees F for 15-20 min. for jumbo muffins, 12-15 for regular muffins or until lightly brown.


Remove from muffin pans and serve warm or cool.


If you need more reasons to try this recipe or eat cherries then check out ChooseCherries . Disclaimer:I am not being paid by them and have not received any products from them, just a nice website with interesting facts about all the benefits of tart cherries. But if they are reading this for some reason then I wouldn't shy away from any PR, products, etc. to do more reviews.

There is a difference in tart cherries and other cherries.

Tart Cherries are high in antioxidants, they have anti-inflammatory and anti-aging properties! So the first one and especially the last one are selling points for me, and I am all in if I can have it in a muffin/cupcake form.

And with streusel on top, I am sold!

So, hope you give it a try!

What is your favorite fruit? Have you tried it in a muffin, cupcake, or cake? If not give it a try!

The Girl Creative
                                                              






 
Until Next Time,
Happy Baking,
Lynn



15 comments:

  1. Beautiful muffin. I love the tart cherries I agree....tart is definitely a must. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never had a cherry muffin! I'm following!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love love love cherries! I may be a weirdo but I really like the taste of cherries and lemon together. PS: That was a total *hint* hint* that if you wanted to created something of a cherry/lemon nature, I would not be opposed! Also, I love the pink polka dots! So girly and fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mango is my absolute favorite! I have yet to try a muffin using mango... Love those cupcake wrappers btw!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww...those liners are so cute!
    i think i like cherries in anything and if i can start my day off with a cherry infused muffin, i would be delighted :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. okay - those liners are adorable! I'm glad you popped one over so we could see! Great recipe! - Katrina

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I need this in my life...I love all things Cherry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm pretty sure this is what Washington was going for!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've THOUGHT about making something cherry, but haven't done it yet:( Kudos to you for making delicious muffins in honor of George Washington(today is his actual bday)!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Any execuse for baking something delicious as these muffins are sounds good to me! Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are the perfect way to celebrate presidents day! Or to start the morning off right. Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look great! Thanks for visiting me at A Season for All Things. I'm your newest follower! ~ Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  13. These sound great! Love starting out the day with a good muffin.

    I'd love to have you share this recipe with Sweet Tooth Friday! http://alli-n-son.com/2011/02/24/cream-cheese-brownies/

    ReplyDelete