Monday, March 7, 2011

Double Caramel Butter Cupcakes

Thanks to friends for being great inspiration!

Oh, I love it when friends give me ideas for desserts.

This is one of those.

I don't think I would have ever put this combo together, but a friend was talking about one of her favorites from a bakery where she just moved from, a butter cupcake with caramel icing!

Hmmmm... Never had one!

So, what's a girl to do when she has a friend in need (craving some goodies), plus it is her birthday, and add in "I have never had that!"

Make your own!!!

Double Caramel Butter Cupcakes
makes 24 cupcakes

Ingredients
Box of butter cake mix


Salted Caramel Filling
from Martha Stewart Cupcakes2 ½ C. sugar
⅔ C. water
1 T. light corn syrup
¾ . heavy cream
2 ½ tsp. sea salt

Caramel Icing 2 C. brown sugar
1 C. butter (2 sticks of butter)
½ C. cream
4 C. confectioners’ sugar
2 tsp. vanilla

Directions
Fix butter cake per directions on box.

Fill prepared cupcake tins with batter ⅔ full in either greased or lined cups.

Remove cupcakes from oven when done.

Let cool on wire racks.

Make a hole in top of each cupcake to fill with caramel.
(I like to use a large icing tip to cut a hole, using large round end push into middle of cupcake abut ½” deep and pull out, removing middle of cupcake!)


Too bad I had to eat these, had to do something with them and I can't stand to waste!
Prepare salted caramel filling:
In a large, heavy saucepan heat sugar, water, and corn syrup over high, stirring occasionally until syrup is clear.

Stop stirring and attach candy thermometer.

Cook until syrup comes to a boil.

Boil, gently swirling pan occasionally until mixture is caramelized and just reaches 360 degrees F.

Remove from heat and very SLOWLY and CAUTIOUSLY pour in cream. NOTE THE MIXTURE WILL SPLATTER AND POP (LIKE GREASE) and it is extremely hot and could burn, so pour in cream very slowly.

Stir with a wooden spoon until smooth. Stir in a dash of sea salt.

Use immediately.

Spoon into prepared cupcake holes.


If caramel hardens gently reheat until pourable.

Prepare caramel frosting:
In small to medium saucepan mix brown sugar, butter, and cream. Bring to a boil,stirring constantly.

When reaches boil remove from heat and cool to lukewarm.

Place mixture in stand mixing bowl and add vanilla. Add confectioners’ sugar ¼ C. at a time beating on low until smooth and spreading consistency. Then beat on medium until completely smooth.

Frost prepared cupcakes.

And Enjoy!!

These are buttery smooth with a surprise of smooth caramel in the middle.

These would also be great as a chocolate cupcake.

The hint of salt in the caramel is just the right combo for sweet and salty in a buttery cake!

So thanks to friends for being great inspiration and enjoying cupcakes with me!



I am sharing this cupcake with the following:
The Girl Creative

9 comments:

  1. Oh my, these lo ok delish! Going to give them a try too
    Shel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my wow! These look amazing! I wonder how many calories they are though! haha! I may still need to make these!

    visiting from allaboutmommies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Double caramel....wonderful recipe! These look irresistible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. THOSE look amazing!!! WOW! I wish you were my neighbor so I could come over and grab one!
    Please add my link to show you're participating and so I can also add you to the giveaway for Red Letter Words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kim: I would love to share with you! Thanks for hosting and the giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love caramel!!! These look so good... I need them...lol... well maybe not need! haha I am your newest follower from bubblynaturecreations.com Have a great day!

    -Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  7. Making the home made caramel scares me a little - but those cupcakes look so good I might just have to face my fears! Unless of course - you deliver?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Melinda: wish I could deliver. You can do it! If I can do it! You can!!! Trust me I used to be afraid of candy in the kitchen (well making it!) so go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing on Cupcake Tuesday! These look yummy! I love caramel!
    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete