Friday, January 14, 2011

White Chocolate Cake with Rich White Chocolate Frosting

So with the world outside of me being blanketed with snow what better way to celebrate mother nature than with a white on white cake, with a twist ( I couldn't stand to not try something different and my mind has already been thinking about Valentine's Day!).

Not much else to say, except this cake is darn good!

I was surprised at how rich it was, especially since I had just finished up a Triple Chocolate Cake with Fudge filling and Chocolate Buttercream icing!!

So without further rambling, let's get started...
White Chocolate Cake with Rich White Chocolate Frosting
adapted from Granny's Kitchen
printer friendly

Ingredients

For Cake








4 oz white chocolate chips
1 C. butter, softened to room temperature
2 C. sugar
4egg yolks
1 tsp.vanilla
2 ½ C.Flour
½ tsp.salt
1 tsp. soda
1 C. buttermilk
4 egg whites, beaten stiff

For Icing














8 oz. white chocolate chips
1 C. butter
3 C. confectioners’ sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
Dash salt
1 T. heavy cream (or milk) plus more for spreading consistency

Directions

Melt chocolate in microwave in 30 second intervals until melted.

Cream butter and sugar together until fluffy.



 Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating after each addition. Add melted chocolate and vanilla, mix well. Sift flour, salt,and soda, add alternately with buttermilk to chocolate mixture, beating after each addition, but do not over beat. Fold in egg whites.


*Tip: I divided my batter into three seperate bowls and colored one batter red for Valentines Day to have a white, red, white, layering!



Pour into 3 greased 9 inch cakes pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 min. or until done.

Cool.

Prepare frosting.

Melt chocolate chips in microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring after each heating. Cream together butter and confectioners’ sugar. Add vanilla, salt, and chocolate. Add cream 1 T. at  a time until spreading consistency desired.Frost cooled cake. Stacking each layer and frosting in between.

*Note: white chocolate frosting recipe will need to be doubled if using for filling and outside.


Then serve and enjoy!


Until Next Time,
Happy Baking!


It is very rich and thick, so may use a butter cream or cream cheese frosting on outside.
It reminds me of a stiff buttercream, but saying that, it is very good and everyone approved! I believe the chocolate hardens giving it that stiff feel!

10 comments:

  1. You can bring this to my house as a house warming any time. I love white chocolate.
    Cherie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cherie: Will do!! I think I am now hooked on white chocolate. Have you had white chocolate cocoa, you must try if you have not!

    ReplyDelete
  3. my wife would love that cake!! she loves white chocolate, and that red layer really makes it so festive....perfect for valentines day!
    thanks for the friend request on FB so I could find your blog!
    Cheers
    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chef Dennis: Thanks for stopping by! It really is a delish white chocolate cake! Looks like you are doing wonderful things over at More than a mount full! And thanks for extending your kindess!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great recipe! The red layer in the middle is a great surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute! Love the red layer! Baking for holidays is so fun...especially VDay with the pink and red :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful cake! I so admire people who can bake incredible creations. I'm not one of those people.

    Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Steph: Thanks! Hope you get a chance to make it!

    Kori: I love all the possibilities with V day!

    Kristi @ Mother Rimmy: Thank you!!! and well I used to be one of those people but I was determined to keep on the cake baking! It gets better, so keep trying, and the most impt. part is how it tastes anyways!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a nice surprise to find a red layer inside:) Your cake looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete