Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The Real Deal Cheesecake


The Golden Deliciousness!
 


Ok, I hear that this is supposed to be like New York style Cheesecake, I am reluctant to say that because sadly enough I have never been to New York to have "real" Cheesecake. (and I am not going to go on what others say, if it isn't local then I am not claiming that it is!)

Having said that this is "the real deal".

What is "the real deal" you ask? (So, glad you asked!)

It is baked cheesecake, and not too creamy, but thick, dense cheesecake!!! That gets better after day two!

I sadly enough know way too many people that only eat no bake, out of the box or store bought, frozen cheesecake and never had "the real deal", baked cheesecake.

It is a travesty to me!

So, let's get started so everyone can have "the real deal"...
The Real Deal Cheesecake
adapted from allrecipes.com
Oh, how thick, dense and delish!
 Ingredients

Crust
1 ½ C. graham crackers, crushed
4T. butter, melted
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 ½ T .sugar

Cheesecake filling
4 (8 oz.) packages cream cheese
1 ½ C. sugar
¾ C. milk
4 eggs
1 C. sour cream
1 T. vanilla extract
¼ C. flour

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 inch springform pan, set aside

Mix graham cracker crumbs with cinnamon, sugar and melted butter until moist.
Press into bottom of springform pan and up sides a little.

Cream sugar and cream cheese until smooth.

Blend in milk.


Mix in eggs one at a time, mixing after each addition to incorporate.
Mix in sour cream, vanilla, and flour until smooth.

Pour filling into prepared pan with crust.

Bake in oven for 1 hour.

Turn oven off and let cake cool in oven with door closed for 3-5 hours.

Chill in refrigerator, then serve.

Much better flavor if wait 24-48 hours after chilled to eat.
Before....
and after! Well, after some something, something















 Actually the after would be a completely empty plate but I figured you could do without that image!!

Sprinkles of Tips: Please note I do not put a water bath in with my cheesecake, I believe this is what gives it that dense thick texture vs. a creamy softer texture. Some people call my dense texture "dry" vs the creamy, which can be achieved in different methods including a water bath. If you don't know what a water bath is then fine, fuhgetuhboutit!!! If you want to do a waterbath then you can but I choose not to in order to have my preference of cheesecake texture! Wouldn't have it any other way!

Also, how long you leave it in the oven is up to you, the sitting in the oven is supposed to prevent cracking and it also allows it to get just a tad golden brown! But please just remember to turn the oven off!!!

and Please quit eating out of the box or frozen cheesecake, unless absolutely necessary!!!

And if anyone has any real NY cheesecake, like from NY, NY and wants to send it my way please contact me and I will get back with you ASAP with necessary details, Thanks!

Until Next Time,
Happy Baking!
Lynn


10 comments:

  1. This Cheese Cake is VERY GOOD, Trust me I know !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Real" NY Cheesecakes have sour cream, sometimes a sourcream/sugar layer baked on top the the cheesecake. This one meets the qualification!! :) And you didn't get the crack in the middle. Impressive, girl. My cheesecakes always crack in the center. Did you bake it in a water bath?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds and looks wonderful!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog and for the kind comment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenna laughs: Thanks for the info on whether this meets NY standards or not :0)

    And no I do not bake my cheesecake in a water bath!

    and I am always thrilled when I don't get a crack in my cheesecake, glad someone else appreciates this as well :0)!!!

    Dimah: Thanks!!! Your food looks delish! I am going to have to try some of your recipes. Especially the soups!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've shamed me into taking a shot at making a cheesecake as beautiful as yours. My husband will be a happy man. Hopefully I can follow your recipe to success.

    Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mother Rimmy:Oh, I do hope you get to make it, just to enjoy some yummy cheesecake. I am sure yours will be a success!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lynn, Being from (and living on) the west coast I am no expert on New York cheesecake(though I've been there once:)), but I have eaten MANY slices of cheesecake(been a favorite since I was a little girl)and yours looks textbook perfect! Love the density! It Looks DELICIOUS! Bravo to you! Sue:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, my, Lynn, this looks like the perfect cheesecake! I adore dense cheesecake and your photos have me drooling! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks great - and no crack! My mom and I always tease each other if our cheesecakes crack when they bake. I love the cnsistency sour cream gives - nice recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sue: Thanks for being so kind! It is very yummy!

    Lizzy: I won't eat any other kind of cheesecake except nice, dense cheesecake! Call me a cheesecake snob if you will but I love it!

    Ladyberd: Glad you all appreciate the no crack too!!!

    ReplyDelete